Professional and Leadership Development
Peace Corps Prep students must avail themselves of Resume and Interview Support & complete a Leadership Activity.
International development is a highly professional sector. Mason students will be required to complete at least two of the following*:
- Have your resume critiqued by a Career Services Advisor
- Attend an interviewing workshop or conduct a practice interview through Career Services.
- Meet with a Career Services Advisor about searching for internships.
Mason students will be required to complete at least one of the following**:
- At least one semester (15 weeks) in a leadership position (officer-level) in a student registered organization
- At least one semester (15 weeks) of serving in a peer leader/mentor role (e.g., TA, Resident Advisor, Patriot Leader, Leadership Consultant)
- At least one semester (15 weeks) on an advisory board (e.g., International Student Advisory Board, Community Adjudication Board, Honor Committee)
- At least one semester (15 weeks) in a management/supervisory role in a professional/work environment (e.g., Shift Manager, Assistant Store Manager, Team Lead)
*Note: All of these requirements are met if students take a career course (e.g., UNIV 320-Internship Search and Career Readiness; UNIV 420-College to Career; NCLC 420 Work Effectiveness Skills)
**If the work-sector experience that students use to qualify category 1 includes a leadership component, the experience can satisfy both requirements—work-sector and leadership; however if the work-sector experience does not include a leadership component, students will need an additional demonstration of leadership skills.